Thursday, June 14, 2012

Our Midwife!

We had our meeting with our Midwife Nurse (CNM) today and both left feeling completely confident...just about everything. About our decision that now is the time, about our decision to enjoy or summer together, about our decision to have a Midwife instead of an OB and about our decision to meet with Loredana Loghin, CNM. (Lori). 

We. Loved. Her! 
I came in with 7 pages of interview questions. No seriously...7. 
We started talking with her and when it came time for me to actually read my questions to her, I kept paging through saying, "I don't need to ask this...hmm..I'll ask you this later...you covered that...etc." She comforted me. I feel like with her and Matt with me, I will be comfortable (well, as I can be) and will be able to have a natural birth (my goal). I want our baby to come into this world in the calmest way possible. 

I addressed all my concerns with her about us getting pregnant and having a healthy baby and her response was, "You're young, you're healthy, you're in great shape...you really have nothing to worry about, you'll be just fine and I bet I'll be seeing you soon." She is younger. She reminded me a lot of a few different people in my life who I look up to and would want with me for labor if I didn't have a midwife. My sister-in-law, Megan and my best friend, Katie. Both of them understand me and my spazziness, but also keep things real for me. 

It was a special meeting for us. It real made this all real. I sat on the table in there getting my blood pressure checked and Matt was looking at me with a face like, "wow...we're really here doing this...I love you." Probably a moment I'll never forget. He looked so confident and ready. He participated equally in our conversation with our midwife and...I just loved every second of it. My love for Matt grew today, maybe even doubled. Is that possible? 

She told us we should be off of birth control for a month or two before we start "trying". So, I just have about 2 weeks left before I won't take it anymore :) Then the journey really begins.
We're not going to "try" we're just going to have fun and I'll be praying lots and trying to be patient as possible..so excited! 

Things I'm excited about that I learned or was reassured about today:
*I do not have to have continuous fetal monitoring during labor if we are having a normal healthy pregnancy (I worry it will stress me out if I hear anything "abnormal" which would only stress me and the baby out more).
*I can be in the tub all the way until pushing and can walk around as much as I want.
*Our midwife will deliver our baby and Matt can help if he'd like.
*If I at any point do want an epidural, I can have one and no one will question it or make me feel bad for that decision. She said half of the women she sees make it without and half end up wanting one. 
*She said she will be there holding my hand every step of the way.
*She was real.
*Once we get a positive pregnancy test, we call and can be seen when we're 6 weeks to hear the heartbeat. I know some women who weren't allowed to come in until 8 or 10 weeks. I couldn't wait that long.
*She partners with another midwife at the hospital, Peggy. Our chances of seeing our midwife are extremely high. 
*There are 9 OB's in the practice as well in the case of anything going wrong during our pregnancy or labor/delivery. 
*The hospital is Amazing! After our appointment we enjoyed walking around the "mall" downstairs. Theres even a full/regular Starbucks downstairs! Our families will definitely have a good time out in the waiting area :) It was neat to see where that will be. We're going to have a good time being at all our appointments and then getting coffee together afterwards :) 
*I am so excited knowing that I only have to take a few more pills!! (I hate things that change my body and aren't natural)

This is such an exciting time in our lives. I can't wait to be a mommy and see Matt being a dad! 
I called my Dad today after our appointment and he was so excited for us and really sounded excited and so happy, it was a really neat conversation to have with him. He gave me some good advice and I loved that he sounded excited. 

Hopefully this time next year we'll be holding our baby in our arms at that hospital with our family, friends and...our midwife! 
We are so happy that she will have such a huge role in our life :)

2 comments:

  1. Midwife!! yay! What center/hospital? You can email me if you want.

    ReplyDelete